Join the ESCHR Product Team
We're looking for some +1's in the Hong Kong office. Check out the team on our last work retreat in Chiang Mai, Thailand. We worked/watched Game of Thrones at The Brick co-working space, lived in a really big Airbnb house (with a house cat) and ate/drank anything thrown in front of us.
The next one is either Bangkok, Taiwan or Vietnam. We'll vote by December. Maybe you'll be casting a ballot as well...
Software Engineer – Hong Kong
ESCHR Holdings LTD
ESCHR is a Software Product Organization & Holding Company (Gum) focused on developing, launching & managing SaaS Products in the Computer Vision space. ESCHR supports & provides access to cloud-based computer vision tools for firms seeking to add computer vision functionality to existing products.
ESCHR, a wholly-owned & managed PaaS, supports cloud-based computer vision products. The platform currently supports 2 live, in-house products (RunnerTag, SearchXSelfie) & 1 product in development (Miro Visual Search). On track to process more than 1.4MM objects in 2017, ESCHR is looking for a Software Engineer to join its Hong Kong leadership team. This role will work alongside the Founder, CTO, Project Manager & Engineering Partner to lead development within AWS on a mostly serverless stack (API-Gateway, Lambda, S3, DynamoDB)
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- (70%) SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT: Writes great code. Develops integrations with common platforms (Shopify, BigCommerce,Magento). Deploys, itearates & innovates within existing codebase.
- (10%) PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT: Works with UX resources, Founders & CTO to iron out features & proposes features to product roadmap as they come up.
- (10%) DOCUMENTATION & PRESENTATION: Directs creation of documentation & materials related to product function, features, UX/UI as needed. Presents created materials to vendor teams & clients as needed.
- (5%) CLIENT-FACING/PUBLIC -FACING: Directly addresses large, key clients on escalated software execution tasks; leads discussions from an ESCHR perspective related to technology/platform & implementation. Attends events (local & abroad) and represents ESCHR (along with other team members); presents technical/product materials in public forums; represents ESCHR within developer community.
- (5%) PROCESS: Participates in testing process, code-review & driving forward development policy. Works with greater product team to direct issue-management & Agile process (JIRA or similar). Leads (partial) stand-ups with internal & external developers toward bi-weekly sprint goals.
As ESCHR is a start-up business with plans to launch a production version of its core product, the Software Engineer role will adopt a greater breadth of duties than a comparable developer position in other companies. Process diligence for future scale, ownership of key technology decisions & strong desire to deliver the best product possible are critical competencies for this role. That said, best-fit for this position will be a software engineer with the desire to grow into a Director of Technology, team-management role as the team grows.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- 4+ years software development experience and a Bachelors of Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Information Technology or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of high-scale system design experience in either an architecture or code capacity
- Ability to read/write code & comfortably plan execution/features in accordance with known limitations/provisions due to coding knowledge/experience (primarily JS, Python, PHP & Java)
- Intermediate-to-Expert familiarity with AWS administration, AWS cloud products & competing products (Azure, GCS)
- Intermediate familiarity with Serverless Architecture components, specifically API Gateway, AWS Lambda & AWS DynamoDB
- Experience working within developmentteams delivering highly scalable, consumer-facing products; 100k+ daily users
- Experience writing unit test and automated testing systems, defining end-end functional test scripts & working with outsourced teams to perform these tests
- Experience developing REST API documentation & API Security Requirements
- Native English Language skills (written & spoken)
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (PPT,XLS,DOC)
- Experience working in git, shell, JIRA, Trello, Slack
- Passport and clearance for international travel
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:.
- Experience working with Adobe Photoshop & other image editing software
- Valid China VISA (unimpeded travel to/from People’s Republic of China)
- Valid International Driver’s License
- Equity stake in the Holding Company with 100% ownership of ESCHR & other Gum Products (current & future)
- Equity Offer is provided separate from Employment agreement
- Choice of rig (PC or MAC), software & smartphone (contract paid by Gum)
- Flexible vacation & personal day policy
- Research to implementation business environment – opportunity to spend time researching new tools, technologies for use on current & future products
- Opportunity to lead technology decisions for global products (EU,US,ASIA);
- Flexible hours (amorphous work schedule), including work from home/remote locations
- International travel and regional deployment opportunities (Europe, United States, SEA, AU/NZ)
- Twice-yearly retreats for engineering/product team to destinations in SEA/Greater China with significant other/+1
- There will be late nights: deployments & conference calls with global employees occur at odd hours once per week
- There will be weekend work; attendance flexibility is afforded during the week to account for weekend working requirements
- Global alignment is necessary; you will regularly interface with employees working in different time zones. Availability for quick comment in off hours is necessary & expected
- You may be asked to travel to one or more of our clients’ offices in North America, Europe or Australia/NZ
This position reports to the CTO & will with work with a partner development team of 3-8 based in Hong Kong/Philippines.